Leadership Certification Program Requirements
Training must be certified by P.O.S.T., a state or federal training program, the TACP, an accredited college or university, or other recognized training program. Education and training may be combined to achieve training requirements. If applicant is below the rank of Chief, he/she must be recommended by the department's Chief of Police. All applicants must be a currently serving, actively employed, certified law enforcement officer to apply.
There is a $50.00 processing fee for each application for current TACP Members.
There is a $100.00 processing fee for each application for Non-TACP Members.
Level 1 Requirements
- Minimum total of 3 years law enforcement experience, and currently serve in a supervisory or administrative role.
- Administrative roles considered may be trainer, field training officer, roles with management/evaluation of others.
- 600 law enforcement training hours or an Associate’s degree.
- A minimum of 80 hours of leadership/supervisory training.
- Can be a component of the minimum of 600 hours of training.
- 40 hours of Instructor Development training course or equivalent training is required.
- For Example: Toastmasters, PIO school, college level public speaking course, any instructor training course
- May include 1st Line Leadership program (i.e. LEIC)
- Must be in good standing with their law enforcement agency.
Level 2 Requirements
- Minimum total of 5 years law enforcement experience, and currently serve in a supervisory or administrative role.
- Must meet requirements of Level 1.
- Must have either 900 hours of law enforcement training or a Bachelor’s degree or an Associate’s degree with 60 hours of training.
- Must have completed 1st Line Leadership program (any supervisory training)
- Must be a graduate of a 40 hour or more command level leadership/supervisory training program
- May include LEIC Advanced Leadership course or the FBI- TN Law Enforcement Executive Development.
Level 3 Requirements
- Minimum total of 7 years law enforcement experience, and currently serve, or have served in a supervisory or administrative role.
- Must meet all requirements of Level 1 and Level 2.
- Must have either 1200 hours of law enforcement training or a Master’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree with 120 hours of training, or an Associate’s degree with 240 hours of training.
- Must be a member of TACP, TSA, or other reputable law enforcement professional organizations (i.e. FBINAA, LEEDA, etc.).
- Graduate of executive level leadership program as listed below or other equivalent as reviewed by the Leadership and Membership Committee:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy (FBI NA)
- Southern Police Institute
- Northwestern Leadership Academy
- South Eastern Leadership Academy (SELA)
- TACP Chief Executive Leadership Course or New Sheriff's Course
- TBI Leadership Academy
- FBI-TN Law Enforcement Executive Development
- Senior Management Institute for Police (PERF)
- UT LEIC Organizational Leadership for First Responders Certificate program
Level 4 Requirements
- Must meet all Level 3 requirements.
- Must be a current Chief of Police or Sheriff and must have 2 continuous years of service, or must have served as a Police Chief or Sheriff in the past with at least 2 years of continuous service in that position.
- Must be a current Assistant Chief*, Deputy Chief*, or Chief Deputy,* and must have 2 continuous years of service, or must have served as an Assistant Chief, Deputy Chief, or Chief Deputy in the past with at least 2 years of continuous service in that position.
* or comparable 2nd in command position to be considered and approved by the Leadership and Membership Development Committee