Posted September 28, 2020
The Town of Rossville, Tennessee seeks an experienced leader to serve as its next Police Chief. The successful candidate must be Tennessee POST certified or have transferrable POST recognized credentials. The Chief of Police for Rossville must have the capacity to administer budgets, manage a growing department, and perform general law enforcement duties. The Chief of Police answers directly to the Mayor and Board of Aldermen.
Rossville is a thriving community with close proximity to a major metropolitan area but retains small town appeal. Our location gives easy access to the Memphis, North Mississippi, and several major Interstates as well as an International Airport.
The key objectives for the police department are maintenance of law and order, and protection of life and property through strategic policing initiatives. Residential growth is on the rise in addition to policing issues related to large industrial parks. Experience with those dynamics is essential to the success of the Chief of Police in Rossville.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative problem solver and have a proven track record for building strong community/police relationships. Good communications within the department, with the community, and with the Mayor and Board are a must.
Bachelor's degree preferred in Criminal Justice, Police Science, Criminology, Public Administration, or related field. Ten years progressively responsible work in law enforcement with at least five years administrative or executive leadership in a law enforcement agency. Additional specialized education (FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute, PERF's Senior Management Institute) is desired. Candidate must obtain State of Tennessee LEMA course within 12 months of employment.
Salary is Dependent on Qualifications
Applicants should submit resume along with cover letter by email attachment to email@example.com or by mail to 360 Morrison Road, Rossville, TN 38066. Preference will be given to resumes received by 5pm CST October 14, 2020.
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS SPECIALIST
Johnson City, TN (East Tennessee State University)
Posted: July 28
Campus Emergency Management seeks to fill an Emergency Preparedness Specialist. This position is responsible to Chief Operating Officer and the Director of Public Safety for managing emergency preparedness including:
- Training for students, faculty and staff
- Maintaining responsibility for the protocol and implementation of drills and exercises
- Managing emergency preparedness policies in accordance with all applicable regulating agencies at the federal and state levels
- Functioning as liaison with local emergency management agencies
- Maintaining a record system of drills, exercises and events
Working with partner departments, the Emergency Preparedness Specialist will design and oversee implementation, management, monitoring, and continually improve campus-wide and departmental emergency preparedness, to improve the University’s ability to recognize and respond to emergencies and effectively manage incidents. The position will also establish and maintain:
- Vigorous and continuing efforts to identify strategic and operational vulnerabilities
- The need for response or continuity planning through exercises, surveys, and operational reviews
- Opportunities to engage with faculty, staff and students to develop a campus-wide culture of emergency preparedness
- Best practices in the industry for application to our University approach
Additionally, the position will lead the development and maintenance of the University’s emergency operations, preparedness, response, recovery, and business continuity protocols and policies consistent with the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command System (ICS). The Emergency Preparedness Specialist will:
- Lead and/or coordinate a project team to write and/or review Incident Action Plans (IAPs) and Emergency Operation Plans (EOPs) that incorporate diverse viewpoints and capabilities assessments
- Assist in developing EOC processes and position-specific checklists, and test and maintain EOC equipment on a regular basis
- Provide incident notification and share situational awareness as needed or requested
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Position is contingent upon sufficient funding.
ETSU is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all of our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. Successful candidates should have a demonstrated commitment and contribution to fostering and advancing equity, diversity and inclusion. East Tennessee State University (ETSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a diverse range of people.
- Strong leadership skills, interpersonal skills, consensus building skills.
- Ability to train large and small groups on emergency and safety topics.
- Operational problem solving/decision making experience.
- Good organizational skills.
- Knowledge of electronic word processing and spreadsheet software.
- A Bachelor’s degree in emergency preparedness, business or public administration, or related field required. Equivalent experience with emergency management with certifications along with some college may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience as an instructor for courses related to emergency management.
- Two years of experience with emergency management or related professional environment required.
- Knowledge and understanding of the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS) are preferred.
- Certifications of FEMA 100, 200, 300, 700, 800 are preferred.
Position is open until filled.